Whether out in the cold, or sheltered in an air conditioned office, our immune defence systems are constantly being challenged by bacteria, fungi, parasites and rapidly mutating strains of viruses
If you want to ward off seasonal ills then it is worth boosting you and your families’ immune systems now – prevention is better (and cheaper!) than cure.
Maintaining a strong immune system helps to protect the body from invasion and damage from a wide variety of micro-organisms, such as bacteria and viruses. It is important to ensure white blood cells are able to be produced when needed and the resulting inflammatory response is regulated to prevent damage to tissues.
Nail those bugs!!
If you want to stay fit and healthy all year long it is well worth you and your family putting a strategy in place to strengthen your immune system. Here are a few things you can do to build up your immune system today.
· Check out how strong your immune system by taking a free Sheena Hendon Health zinc test (it only takes 5 minutes and gives us a good indication of how well your immune system is working)
· Check for food allergies or sensitivities
· Reduce stress as it can really give your immune system a knock
· Follow a detox programme at least once a year
· Boost your system with immune strengthening foods or supplements.
Specifically, the nutrients that the immune system needs are:
Zinc – helps the body fight infection and produce antibodies. Good dietary sources of zinc are lean meats, whole grains, legumes and oysters.
Vitamin C – gives all round support to the immune system, has antiviral properties and helps fight colds and stress. Most fruits and vegies are high in vitamin C. For a great immune boosting drink squeeze a fresh lemon in a cup containing a tsp of manuka honey and a couple of slices of fresh ginger. Pour hot water into the cup and stir. (Note: children just love honey and lemon but you might want to omit the ginger)
Vitamin A – is an antioxidant that reduces the rate of infection. Fish liver oils are the richest natural source of vitamin A but it is also found in milk, butter, cheese, egg yolk, liver and in some oily fish. Read the label carefully as too much vitamin A can be toxic to the body.
Beta-carotene which strengthens our immune response is found in green leafy veges as are carrots, yellow and red fruits and vegies.
Selenium – an antioxidant central to the immune system. Good sources include fish, cereals and lean meat.
· Take immune boosting herbs such as Echinacea, Siberian ginseng, Garlic, Goldenseal and Olive leaf. Sheena Hendon Health can make you up an immune boosting formula that is suitable and safe for you as an individual.
· For the kids and babies. Sheena Hendon Health use a great range of kids health professional only supplements and herbs. They are great not only because they work but also because the kids like the taste. I know with my own children that one of the issues with natural medicine can be compliance…yet I very rarely have problems with these. For example see Metagenics ENT Immune Care for Kids is an amazing product we use for congestion of the ear, nose and throat.
· Take a probiotic supplement, particularly if antibiotics have been taken. Acidophilus, bifidus and lactobaccillus are beneficial bacteria that live in the human gut and help keep our bodies healthy and balanced.
· Health-promoting essential oil remedies:
As essential oils gain more and more popularity worldwide, check out the following recommendations
· Rub 10 drops DoTerra Eucalyptus or DoTerra Breathe to soles of your feet to enhance immunity and nurture healthful breathing.
· DoTerra Ginger (7 drops) plus Thyme ( 7 drops) added to in a bath with 1 cup of Epsom Salts will kick start your immune system no matter what condition it’s in.
· Sometimes it’s really helpful to have a ready made formula exactly right for your needs. With DoTerra On Guard and Doterra Breathe you have the very finest immune enhancing essential oils brought together in potent synergy. All you need to do is to keep a small bottle to hand, diffuse it into your life or maybe drop into the bath
(Check out www.Doterra.com to find out more about these oils. They can be purchased through Sheena Hendon Health). Also, check out http://www.essentialoilsuperstore.com/ – a great guide to finding out which oils to use for which ailment.
· Lifestyle factors such as regular exercise, a good diet, supplementation and a balance between recreation and work in your day will lay the foundations for good health
Where to from here?
· Contact Sheena Hendon and she can check out the strength of your immune system using a simple 5 minute zinc test. The test is suitable for children and adults.
· Book in for a consultation, detox programme or have your allergies and sensitivities checked.
· Sheena Hendon will also advise you on which supplements and herbs are right for you – from immune boosting supplements containing both herbs, vitamins and minerals to individual herbal medicines.
More about Doterra On Guard and Breathe essential oils
DoTerra On Guard Protective blend. This essential oil blend is DoTerra’s unique proprietary blend formulated to support healthy immune function by eliminating and controlling pathogens from viruses and staphylococcus infections. Wild orange essential oil, combined with clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus and rosemary offer a fragrant and effective alternative to synthetic options for immune support. It is safe to use on counter tops as a non-toxic way to clean surfaces, or to clear the atmosphere by diffusing. Great for the family or in childcare centres, schools, hospitals work – diffuse for an hour a couple of times a day or apply to the bottoms of feet to fight bugs.
DoTerra Breathe Respiratory Blend Respiratory issues are prevalent in modern society. Breathe is a remarkable blend of CPTG (certified therapeutic grade) essential oils which combine to help you and your children breath easier. A proprietary blend including laurel leaf, peppermint, eucalyptus, melaleuca, lemon and ravensara cleanses and soothes the airways and can easily be applied topically to the chest, back, or bottom of feet. Its pleasant aroma is calming to the senses and perfect for nighttime diffusion allowing for restful sleep
“I use Breathe on the bottom of my children’s feet at night when they have a cough, and they sleep comfortably the whole night through”